Whole Wheat Quick Buns
Ready in 30 minutes : Yields 8-12
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons warm milk
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar/honey
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 extra egg Sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine water, milk, yeast, oil and sugar/honey; let rest for 15 minutes.
- Add salt, egg, and flour to yeast mixture and mix well.
- Roll out 3/4 inch thick and cut into 10-12 rounds.
- Place rolls on oiled parchment paper or foil.
- Brush the top with the extra egg.
- Optional: sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 400-425*F for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Be careful not to over-bake or they will be too dry.
Note:I shaped mine differently. If you have time, let it rise for 30 minutes before rolling and cutting them into round disks. If you still have time, give it a 15-30 minutes 2nd rise after cutting them into disks.
Healthy Whole Wheat Soft Buns
Ready in 1 hour 50 minutes : Yields 8-12
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 to 5 cups of brown bread flour (or half each of all purpose and whole wheat flour)
- 1 egg
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- In a mixing bowl add warm water, yeast and sugar. Stir and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Mix in oil, milk, salt and 3 cups flour. Stir in additional flour gradually. Add enough flour until dough is smooth.
- Dough should stick to the bottom of the bowl but clears sides. It will be soft and slightly sticky.
- Knead by hand for 10 minutes or 7 minutes using bread machine to achieve a smooth dough.
- Lift your dough and oil the bowl. Place your dough in the oiled bowl and brush some oil on top of your dough.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth/ cling film and let the dough rise for at least 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, divide it into 2 halves.
- Take one half and divide it into 5 equal balls.
- Take each ball and fold them into a smooth round ball in your hands. Once finished, repeat steps 8 and 9 for the 2nd half of the dough.
- Put them on a baking tray lined with oiled parchment paper or foil. Cover them and put them aside for 30 mins. Preheat the oven to 355*F in the meantime.
- Crack 1 egg and brush the buns ( you can brush them with milk if you don’t have eggs).
- Optional: sprinkle the top with sesame seeds. Bake for 20 minutes.
Note: You can skip step 12 and bake the buns for 15 minutes. Melt some 3 – 4 tbsp butter, add a little bit of salt (and mixed herbs if you have some) brush them on to the buns and return them to the oven for another 5 minutes.