Fluffy Whole wheat Banana Pancakes
Ready in 20 minutes : Serves 6 – 8 pieces
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅔ cup milk of choice
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana (from about 1 large banana)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup/honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, mashed banana, egg, maple syrup, oil and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. You’re ready to start cooking pancakes once a drop of water sizzles on contact with the hot surface.
- If necessary, lightly oil the cooking surface, carefully wiping up excess with a kitchen towel.
- Using a ¼ cup, scoop the batter onto the hot skillet, leaving a couple of inches around each pancake for expansion.
- Cook until small bubbles form on the surface of the pancakes, 2 to 3 minutes (you’ll know it’s ready to flip when about ½-inch of the perimeter is matte instead of glossy).
- Flip the pancakes, then cook until lightly golden on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding more butter or oil and adjusting the heat as necessary.
Serving suggestions: enjoy with sliced banana, syrup, maple syrup or honey.