Healthy Fruit Nut Muffins
Ready in 35 minutes : Serves 12 Muffins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped prunes
- 1 cup + ¼ cup extra water
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons oil (½ cup butter)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine 1 cup of water with the dates, raisins and prunes.
- Boil for 5 minutes, the water will be absorbed and remove from heat, add oil / butter.
- Transfer to large bowl and let cool.
- Set oven to 350*F and grease and flour muffin cups or use paper liner.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir together flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Add extra water, a little at a time if the mixture is too thick – no more than ¼ cup of water.
- Mix in nuts.
- Spoon into muffin cups 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.